Every hobby has its own slang and unique terms. Birding has more than most. I thought it would be fun to share some I use or like:
Terms I commonly use:
- BINS (or Binos): Binoculars.
- Butter Butt: Yellow-rumped Warbler
- CBC: Christmas Bird Count
- LBJ: Little Brown Job – Any small, brownish bird that you have not been able to identify is often referred to as a LBJ. Many LBJ’s are sparrows, as the female or immature sparrows can be difficult to identify, even for the experts.
- LIFER (or Life Bird): A bird species you have never seen before in your life. A lifer allows a birdwatcher to add a tick to their life list.