REMINDER: To help us plan for the number of chairs, snacks and wine, please let us know you plan to attend by completing this easy registration form.
Event: Where Have All the Shorebirds Gone?
Date: Wednesday March 28, 2018
Time: 7:00 pm Registration & Social; 7:30 pm Program Starts
Location: Live Oak Hall, Lake House, Seabrook Island, SC
Cost: FREE for members; $5 for guests
Join SIB for $10 and the event is Free!
Each year, thousands of shorebirds enjoy the beaches of Seabrook Island to rest and refuel as they migrate through or to spend a season living and even nesting on our dunes. And each year, the number of birds is decreasing. SIB is pleased to present a panel of experts to discuss questions such as:
- What birds do we find on our beaches and when?
- Which birds are of particular concern?
- Why are birds banded?
- What type of bird surveys are conducted on our beach and why?
- What are the signs we see on the beach and why are they changed throughout the year?
- What can Seabrook Island Residents do to help?
Panel members will include:
- Melissa Chaplin, Endangered Species Biologist with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Services, SC Field Office
- Janet Thibault, Wildlife Biologist with the South Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources
Join SIB at the Lake House for another fun and informative evening. To set the stage for the panel discussion, Aija and Ed Konrad will lead a brief Shorebird Identification Slide Show of the birds found on Seabrook Island. Be sure to bring your questions about shorebirds too! The program will conclude with the drawing of raffle tickets with several great prizes! Be sure to bring cash to buy the raffle tickets: $2/ticket or $5/3 tickets.